Sheba Microsystems is a fab-less semiconductor company that develops high-end MEMS actuators for optical solutions including autofocus (AF), Optical Image Stabilization (OIS), and zooming for miniature cameras. With their high speed and high repeatability, low power consumption, and small size, the Sheba MEMS actuators are ideal for such applications.
Such unique features are enabled by a novel electrode configuration in micro-electrostatic actuators invented by Sheba. This novel revolutionary actuator platform was enabled by the Sheba µPistons™ technology, where thousands of micro-size pistons and tubes are fabricated within a small footprint to interact with each other and generate forces able to manipulate large masses within a structure able to resist sudden drops.
See how it works
THE WORLD’S FIRST MEMS AF AND OIS CAMERA
Enabled by Sheba µPistons Technology
Sheba Microsystems has developed a complete MEMS solution to achieve optical image stabilization (OIS) and Autofocus (AF) for smartphone cameras that was possible with the Sheba µPistons™ technology. This technology has enabled a unique approach to achieving AF and OIS using a simultaneous lens-sensor-tilt; where the camera system consists of 2 actuators (one around the lens barrel and a second placed behind the image sensor). Each actuator has 3-DOF motion: pitch, yaw, and z-axis translation; both actuators move relative to each other to achieve AF and tilt simultaneously to achieve OIS, as shown in the video.
- Large Translation Strokes (150 microns for each actuator, 300 microns for the total stroke)
- Two-Axis Tilt/Rotation
- Tilt Angle (±0.8 – yaw and pitch)
- Large Force (130+ mg payload)
- High Speed: 200-500 Hz resonance depending on load
- Low Power: <2 mW
- Ultra-thin: 0.5 to 0.6 mm
- Precise Positioning (sub-micron accuracy)
- Compatible with Large Lens Barrels: 7 elements, F#1.7
- Compatible with Large Image Sensor format (1/2.55) e.g. IMX362
See how it works: